Compensation for Disrepair

If you are renting a property from a private landlord or a registered social landlord, your landlord has a duty to ensure your home is kept in good condition, particularly in relation to the structure and exterior of your home, water pipes, toilets, sinks, baths and showers, services including gas and electricity and to ensure the house is not infested.

If your landlord is aware of any issues at your property and takes no steps to remedy the problem you may be entitled to compensation if, as a result of this disrepair, you suffer damage to your belongings, inconvenience, personal injury or health problems or financial losses.

There is a procedure which must be followed in all disrepair cases and you will need evidence to support your claim.  In some cases it may be possible to offer representation on a no win no fee basis.  If you would like to discuss this further please contact Patricia Burge at our Mathew Street office on 0151 330 0745 or email