Here at Gregory Abrams Davidson Solicitors we have a specialist team dealing with pressure sores also commonly referred to as pressure ulcers and bed sores.
The Patient’s Association published their report “meaningful and comparable information? – Tissue viability, nursing services and pressure ulcers” in September 2010.
The important conclusions to note were as follows:-
- Approximately 412,000.00 individuals will develop a new pressure sores annually in the UK
- Under Freedom of Information Act requests it was discovered that staffing levels at Hospital Trusts were highly variable appearing to lack any significant relationship between patient Trust population or Trust activity level.
- Pressure sores cost the NHS between 1.422.1 billion a year.
- Only 50% of Trusts and 66% of PCTs can provide any estimates of waiting times for a referral to a Tissue Viability Nurse Service.
- When compared with infection the monitoring of pressure sore incidents was much poorer.
If you or a family member have suffered a pressure sore it is our opinion that the cause should be investigated to assess whether reasonable measures were taken to inhibit the development of what is an increasingly common but generally preventable injury.
If you or a family member/friend have suffered a pressure sore whilst under the care of a health professional whether that be in hospital or a care home you or they may be entitled to compensation. Here at Gregory Abrams Davidson LLP we have a specialist team dealing with pressure sore cases. Please contact us for a free initial consultation on 0151 236 5000 or 02082 09 0166 and ask to speak to Richard Malloy. Alternatively, you can e-mail us at email@example.com or fill out our online contact form and we will contact you directly.